Sunday, October 7, 2007


I graduated from Virginia High School in June 1969. My goal since 1960 was to attend the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. I wanted to play baseball for the Golden Gophers and be a major league baseball player. In the fall of 1960, I made my first visit to the campus with my dad, Uncle Lud and cousin Jimmy. We went to the homecoming football game against Illinois. The Gophers won 21-10. Later they would be named football National Champions for 1960. In 1961, my dad and two uncles, Lud and John, and I saw the Gophers defeat Michigan 23-20 in the Gophers' homecoming football game. Later the Gophers would defeat UCLA in the Rose Bowl. These two experiences reinforced my desire to attend the university. In the fall of 1969 I began my academic and baseball career as a Golden Gopher.

I have had many outstanding high school friends and teammates who have played a big part in my life in sports including, Frank Lahti, Jimmy Novak, Joel Adamic, John Priyatel, Bill Skradski, Doug Luthanen, Vince Hren, Rich Klobuchar, Greg Marn, Steve Smekar, Paul Starkovich, Kurt Johnson, Mike Mohar, Jim Eckman, Don Lindberg, Neil McKenzie, Mike Carlson, John Possin, Doug Foschi and Mark Lind.

Hello,

Isn't it nice to start every week attending the local church of your choice? We always have great church services that include the study of God's Word. Prayer, praise, thanksgiving and worship. Receiving of tithes and offerings. Hands on ministry. Fellowship with like-minded believers. Thank you people and families of The Spoken Word Church.

As a high school student in Ely and Virginia I have great memories of friends, baseball and basketball with the Ely Timberwolves and Virginia Blue Devils. Sports would have a big part to play in my five year University of Minnesota college experience. I would play baseball my freshman and sophomore years. I would coach basketball for the Golden Gophers my junior, senior and first post-graduate year.

I enjoyed being a spectator and fan of Golden Gopher football, basketball and hockey. I was a passionate fan of the Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Vikings and Minnesota North Stars.

I love my hometown of Ely, Minnesota. I was born there on February 4, 1951 and I will always have fond memories of Ely, the Iron Range and northern Minnesota. My five years at the University of Minnesota were filled with many great memories and prepared me well for my future in ministry and athletics.

Have a supernatural week,

Bill